Thursday, June 14, 2007

How'd they do it!?!




It's been nearly two months and it's about time for Daddy to weigh in. I have really enjoyed watching Sheree, Christine, my Mom, Nicole, and all our acquaintances reactions to this cute kid. My reaction has been exactly the same. I think he's the most adorable baby in the history of time (if I do say so myself), and I can't get enough of him. Then something happened.



I think that all the stress of getting a child in to the world healthy and happy provides a great buffer to a lot of the realities of having a child. We were so relieved (and exhausted) to finally meet him, feed him, and yes, change him, that we really didn't think much beyond eat, burp, change, sleep, repeat. After a while though, you get your feet under you and your mind starts to wander. Looking down at this sleeping angel, I started thinking about what a good job our parents did raising us. We might never win the Nobel Peace Prize, but Sheree and I are good people. We work hard, are kind to kids and dogs, recycle, respect our elders, vote regularly, drive defensively, and pray for peace in the world. Now I'm not going to get into the whole "nature vs. nurture" thing, but I think our parents and family had a lot to do with who we are. Looking down at the chubby face of my son, I have to ask myself "How the HELL did they pull it off!?!" Cuz' I know that they didn't have any more or less access to books about babies and child rearing than we have. Nobody taught them classes about teaching kids values, kindness, hard work, responsibility, etc. But they taught us well. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm terrified! This little boy will look to me to teach him how to be a man. I hope I can do as well as my parents and grandparents did.


So, to mommies and daddies everywhere, and to mine and Sheree's in particular, THANK YOU! We love you all! Please HELP us!

-J

1 comment:

  1. This are kind words to read. I love you kids - and that's also the best advice for any new parents. I wonder why God bestows such an enormous responsibilty to such fallible, foolish, selfish, and lazy folks as human beings. It is scary but you and Sheree are doing wonderful. I know ~ I was just there. I guess we learn as we go, kind of a line upon line, precept by precept method. I love you three. :)

    ReplyDelete