Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Grinch

So, we're now 6 weeks into "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" repeated nightly.  Good thing I like the story, too.  At the beginning of the adventure, I would sing "Da Who Dory" when the Who's sang.  Jackson complained, "I don't like Da Who!"  I asked what he'd prefer, and he settled on Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.  So after teasing him with a  little Da Who, I'd finish with Twinkle Twinkle.

Two weeks into this routine, Jackson started filling in his favorite phrases.  First with "He got an awful idea!" now with more feeling, "The Grinch got a won-ful, AWE-FULL idea!"  He likes to interject with other phrases too "like coo of a dove" "his heart was two sizes too small" and he's so proud every time.  Last night, he went through the whole segment about the Who's feasting while I returned from a trip to the bathroom.  Jason tells me he sometimes quotes Grinch phrases to him during the day. And after watching the movie (classic Chuck Jones with Boris Karloff version, of course) he insists that the Who's sing only Da Who and nothing but Da Who.

I've tried to switch over to other books, which results in my reading extra books.  For now, we're sticking with the Grinch.
 

2 comments:

  1. How cute. At least he like to read. I love that story too. Right now we are finishing up Little House on the Prairie. A bit older than Grinch, but still a great habit to read together before bed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! And a huge plus for watching the 'old school' Grinch cartoon. We rented the Jim Carey movie and my boys got nightmares.
    I haven't heard the Da Who song in ages...

    ReplyDelete