Friday, March 28, 2008

Easter in Annapolis

Over Easter Weekend, we made the trip to Annapolis to celebrate Nicole & Ben's marriage (see above post). Here are a few of the highlights:

Thursday March 20th. This is Jason and my 6th anniversary. What better way to celebrate than to head south for a weddin'. Jackson was very good in the car, but he didn't sleep much (a theme for the trip). We went out to dinner with Nik & Ben, and my Mom and Grant. My mom also opened up her suitcase of presents. No cinnamon bears this time. But she had a fluffy stuffed duck for Jackson. For me, she had presents from Ellis's trip to Hawaii. Macadamia nuts, a pineapple (I requested this one. When I talked to him last week, he said he couldn't bring it on the plane because of the threat of fruit flies since he was flying through California. I totally bought it), and a carved coconut monkey bank to add to my collection (yup, now I've got 2!) Happy Anniversary to my wonderful husband, Jason!

Friday March 21st. Jackson is 11 months old!! I went to "Spa Day" with the ladies while my family toured downtown. They had breakfast and Chris and Ruth's, getting there right after the morning Pledge of Alliegance. Then they walked around, visited the navel academy in time to see the sailors formations, and went down to see a tomb of John Paul Jones. Jason said that Jackson whoo'ed like a howler monkey the whole way down. So much for being reverent. I had a fabulous massage! This was also my first day in a long time without either work or a baby, thanks Jason and Mom. That evening was the rehearsal party. We had a great time and ate yummy food.

Saturday March 22nd. I spent the day with the bride, the maids, and the mothers getting ready. It rained, so we had to forego the outdoor pictures and the outdoor wedding. That's OK though. It was seriously the most fun I've ever had at a wedding. The couple looked fantastic, and soo happy! The vows were nice, and the food and party was wonderful. I will say that the couple had a lot of really white people dancing out there (I can't exclude myself). Flat Jake worked his way into lots of pictures. Oh, and look how adorable my boys are in their suits!!

Sunday morning I awoke with the realization that I had way too much to drink the night before. Tom and Debi (Ben's parents) threw a brunch. Andrea (Ben's sister) almost succeeded in stealing my baby. When we came in, Jason went into the living room, and I went to get some food. We sat down to eat together, and Jackson wasn't there. So I looked all over upstairs for him, and didn't find him. Andrea had run away to the basement to teach him to play pool. She'd been plotting all weekend to steal my boy.

Monday, my family and I went to see the battlefield at Antietam. Here's a synopsis of what happened. The South and General Lee had control of the bridge, the Union General McClellan wanted to keep the South from gaining ground in the North. The battle had the largest single day casualties--23,000 mostly Union soldiers. In the end, a couple of Union soldiers were able to get across with the motivation of whiskey. The crazy thing is that so many people died over this bridge that crossed a river smaller than the Ogden River in the fall. They could easily have waded across it. Nuts. That evening, Nik & Ben treated us to dinner. My mom and I had the lobster. Mmmm.

Tuesday, we said goodbye to my parents and headed back home. Jackson was such a trooper the whole trip! But by the end, he was really sick of being strapped into things. Poor Jason had to work that night.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a fun weekend! It was so good to see you guys.
    Love the history lesson on Antietam. We may have to make a trip there sometime.